The Abbeymead Vision, Aims and Values
Our vision is to ensure that every child in our school leaves us Ready for Life.
To facilitate our vision we aim:
- To ensure that every child enjoys learning and achieves their full potential, regardless of gender, age, race, physical or intellectual capacity, in a happy and secure learning environment.
- To ensure that the skills, knowledge, dispositions and values of individuals are fully developed thereby encouraging them to become compassionate citizens who make a difference to their world.
- To provide a broad and balanced curriculum, in which all subjects are valued, and where research-based teaching and learning provides knowledge, skills, vocabulary and experiences relevant to our local community and the wider world.
- To provide a curriculum which promotes, across all subjects, opportunities for reading, writing, and speaking and listening, and the application of maths skills and concepts.
- To use the creative arts such as drama, music, art and dance as vehicles for learning, encouraging our children to use their own creative skills and imagination to discover possibilities, and refine ideas to produce individual and unique outcomes.
- To promote the health, well-being and confidence of all learners within the school, enabling them to see themselves as valued and valuable members of a wider society.
- To teach the children the importance of respecting themselves, each other, as well as the wider world.
- To provide a strong framework for promoting good behaviour and positive attitudes in order to cultivate a safe and secure community in which everyone may flourish.
- To develop the school’s role in the local and wider community and, as a result, each child’s understanding of citizenship, by encouraging links with local industry, residents and organisations.
Our Abbeymead Values
At Abbeymead, our ethos revolves around our Core Values which has the acronym of BAR, Belonging, Ambition and Respect with and aim of 'Raising the BAR' in everything we do.
These are taught through all we do at school and particularly during assemblies and times when we are all together and can learn from each other.
Fundamental British Values
The Department for Education states that there is a need:
“To create and enforce a clear and rigorous expectation on all schools to promote the fundamental British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs”.
The Department for Education defines British Values as follows:
- Respect for democracy and support or participation in the democratic process
- Respect for the basis on which the law is made and applies in England
- Support for equality of opportunity for all
- Support and respect for the liberties of all within the law
- Respect for and tolerance of different faiths and religious and other beliefs
Our school reflects these British values in all that we do. We aim to nurture our children on their journey through life so they can grow into safe, caring, democratic, responsible and tolerant adults who make a positive difference to British society and to the world. We encourage our children to be creative, unique, open-minded and independent individuals, respectful of themselves and of others in our school, our local community and the wider world.
Mead Road, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL4 5YS